Jailed gangster Lawrence Bishnoi, on Wednesday withdrew from the Delhi High Court his plea in which he had sought necessary safeguards as he apprehended a “fake encounter” by the Punjab Police.
The court said, “the petition is dismissed as withdrawn”.
“Pass a direction to the Delhi Police and Tihar Jail authority to ensure all necessary security arrangements for the petitioner as he shall be duly handcuffed, shackled and videographed during the production warrant and on transit remand if any warrant produced by the Punjab Police for the safety of his life,” the plea said.
The plea, in the Delhi High Court, had sought direction to the Tihar Jail authority and the Delhi Police to ensure that necessary safeguards, including videography, are taken for his safety before giving his custody to any other state police, including the Punjab Police.
Bishnoi had earlier approached a district court here which refused to entertain his plea.
He was lodged in Tihar Jail in connection with a case lodged under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crimes Act (MCOCA) and was on Tuesday remanded in three-day custody of the Delhi Police Special Cell after it arrested him in an Arms Act case.
On May 29, Moosewala was shot dead by unidentified assailants in Punjab’s Mansa district, a day after the state government curtailed his security cover. His cousin and a friend, who were travelling in a jeep with him, were also injured in the attack.
Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann has announced setting up a judicial commission headed by a sitting high court judge to probe the killing of 28-year-old Moosewala.
Canada-based gangster Goldy Brar has allegedly claimed responsibility for the murder on May 29, and said it was planned by him and the Lawrence Bishnoi group.